Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Date Night



"You, me go all alone?"

How could I say no to that sweet request, or actually several sweet requests over the past few weeks?

So, last week, Ethan and I went on a special date... all alone!


We took a few photos together since we were all dressed up (in the outfits that he had chosen). Then we went out to dinner together. I can't believe I neglected to take a photo of this sweet boy, all dressed up, eating peanut butter and jelly. I was just too busy enjoying the moment. And the conversation.



We walked over to the bookstore after dinner.

Books were read, stories were told, trains were played with, a couple gifts for friends were purchased and photos were taken. Ethan likes to be in front of the camera, but not as much as he likes to be behind it...



To finish our evening, I treated my date to a scoop of ice cream. While he ate his treat, I told him the story about how his daddy met me in an ice cream store. He thought for a long time and then smiled. Then he told me that when he was grown up, he would be in an ice cream store and meet me there too. I assured him that I would like that very much!





The highlight, the very highlight of my evening...


As we were leaving the bookstore, I told Ethan that we should hurry because I was very cold. Did he hurry? No. He stopped right in the middle of the sidewalk. Then, he took off his coat, gave it to me and told me that boys do that for girls. Now, my sweet husband always makes sure I have my coat when we leave, so I asked him how he knew this to be true.


"I saw a boy do that at a hotel." Big smile.


I have no idea where or when, but my four year old saw a man act with chivalry and wanted to do the same. Isn't it amazing that we can teach our children constantly from the moment they are born, and they are still observing and absorbing from people all around them. If we could only remember the power we all have through example... good and bad. If I could only thank that man, whoever he was, who briefly, unknowingly contributed to my son's character.


If I could only remember that carving out purposeful time with each of my children reveals so much about the condition of their heart and blesses mine so richly!

6 comments:

Sarah Wildman said...

Owen and I just read this together--what a precious heart Ethan has! Memories like these are what makes life sweet. You are raising a beautiful young lady and two precious gentlemen.

Mama2fiveblessings said...

What a precious gift you have in this young man who so plainly adores you so much! He is such a sweet blessing and you are so wise to capture moments like this that will last in both of your hearts forever!
Love,
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Priceless. I am in love with your wonderful family.

Hawthorne Moments said...

What a gentleman Ethan is growing up to be! What precoius memories!

Jaime said...

That is such a sweet story. Ethan is adorable and what a gentleman he is. You are doing a great job Mom!! I know that so much comes from Daddy/Daughter and Mommy/Son dates. My girls all hold special memories of their "one on one" time.

Unknown said...

What a little gentleman! Wow! He is really growing up. I bet your night was very special. It is great to do that with one at a time. Give Ethan a hug for me and of course Abigail & Samuel too.