Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Moments in a Jar

I really value thoughtfulness. Alot.
I'm not sure what love language that fits into, but when someone cares enough to purposely plan ways, even simple ways, to make me smile... it totally blesses my heart.
Knowing this, while my kids are out playing or hiking or exploring, they often find special gifts for me: sometimes wildflowers and sometimes pretty rocks. Of course "pretty" has lots of definitions, but it often include sparkling quartz, colorful sedimentary layers, chipped concrete...
Each time they bring me pretty rocks, I have to close my eyes and hold out my hands. Then, I am presented with my surprise. I love talking to them about the details that make it beautiful.
I used to keep my special gifts in a bowl, but my collection grew large. I transferred most to a bag under the kitchen sink but it was mostly forgotten until the next contribution. Recently, I found the perfect display...
This quart jar now sits on our kitchen table. It is full of very pretty rocks. Pink rocks, sparkle rocks, black/white rocks, super smooth rocks, rainbow rocks...
It is such a joy to me. It reminds me that even though I fail so often in parenting, there have been lots of wonderful moments. Moments when Abigail, Samuel and Ethan have seen beauty around them that reminded them of me. Moments when they stopped what they were doing and thought of a way to bless someone else. Moments when their tiny hands gave of what they had available.
Could I be raising future geologists? Maybe, but whatever profession they pursue, I pray they will always be thoughtful people. Thoughtful people have the power to turn a jar of rocks into a priceless family heirloom!

4 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I love that you are keeping them on display! I am sure the kids are so proud of their finds.

the dwellers said...

Dear mommy,
Thank you for Bloging about your memory rocks! I love you!
LoVe,
AbIgAiL

Mama2fiveblessings said...

What a sweet post!! You are succeeding in your parenting my friend as well as being such a blessing to those around you!! Thank you for blessing me with this post and your friendship, I so enjoyed our chat and sharing this journey with you is what keeps me going at times!!
Miss you, T

peridawn said...

What a treasure to always share.... what a wonderful heirloom to always cherish...love ya