Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sauced!


A friend gave me two buckets of apples from her tree yesterday. Two really big buckets.

This year is a real lesson in Food 101. I used to feel quite accomplished if we made dinner from grocery store supplies. Now we are learning lessons beyond that... producing food, harvesting, processing local produce. Even if these are age-old skills, they are all new to us.

Here is our first adventure in applesauce.

First we sorted, washed, and cut the apples. Then they simmered until very tender. Repeat, repeat, repeat...

Everyone took a turn at pureeing. Then we sprinkled in just a smidge of turbinado sugar to help the tartness.

Really, the process was so simple and just required time. The results were delicious.

Now we have 24 cups of homemade applesauce in the freezer and another 3 cups in the refridgerator. Care to join us for dinner? :)

3 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Yum. I love that you are teaching yourself all of the basics. You'll love it this winter!

Mama2fiveblessings said...

You continue to inspire me with all that you are learning and doing!! And yes of course you know I would love to come for dinner. However it will have to wait until after Disneyland :)
Love you and miss your fellowship!!
T
PS I did set up a new blog on homeschool blogger but I haven't had time to do anything with it. After vacation will probably be the first I get to it! Hopefully it will work better???

Anonymous said...

You guys are going to be so healthy. I am so proud of you.