Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cabin Fever


Virginia has received a lot of snow this winter. A lot of snow.

Storm after storm, inches into feet, everything has been totally white for weeks.

Locals say this much snow is very unusual for this area. Thankfully.


Some facts from our winter: Weather.com is now a good friend. A tractor is a blessing when your lane is over a half mile long and snow packed. A warm house and library books keep everyone happier. Even if public schools are closed for weeks, homeschool kids don't get snow days off.

The hardest part of this weather is not being able to spend time outside. The snow is just too deep! Here is a comparison between last July and last week:



During the biggest snow, we hiked to the top of the pasture hill to go sledding...




but the snow was so deep that the sled just sunk in. We had to pull the sled back home!


We retreated to the kitchen. I made homemade chicken noodle soup for the first time and a batch of our favorite cinnamon rolls. Comfort food takes on a whole new meaning when you are snowed in and can use the meat that you produced last summer!



On the first day of sunshine, we tried sledding again with much better results!

We are trying to make the most of winter, and keep thinking that all this moisture is sure to bring a beautiful spring. Really, really soon.

5 comments:

Mama2fiveblessings said...

I'm really sad because all of the photos on this post are red x's except for the last one :(. I love my computer and internet connection! I know this has truly been a "Long Winter" but you are a master at making the most of every situation and making memories to last a lifetime along the way. Here's to a beautiful spring and an especially green May!!
Love you, Tiffany

the dwellers said...

Tiffany,
Not sure what happened with the photos, but they looked like little red x's to me this morning too. Uploaded again, hopefully the problem is fixed.
:) melissa

Sarah Wildman said...

Beautiful pictures...c'mon Spring!!!

For everything, there is a season...

Mama2fiveblessings said...

Now I see them!! Next time you make those rolls could you send me one?? I am remembering how yummy they are and I don't think I have the energy to make them myself. Remember that time you made them for us when we went to Flag and you guys kept the kids for us. That is a "sweet" memory.
Love you,
Tiffany

liagibA said...

Great job!!!
I love it!
Love ya!

Love,
D
A
A ;)