Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Priceless

I remember when we first brought Abigail home from the hospital. We were amazed by her, totally smitten. We drove home, extra carefully, as a family. It was such a joy to have her with us all the time.


As the weeks and months passed, we realized something. . . we realized that she was with us all the time. While being a family is an amazing blessing, we knew that we would still need to invest in our marriage too. Occasionally, we wanted a little bit of time for just the two of us. Dinner and a movie, a walk in the park, or a long hike... we really needed to find a good babysitter!


Since that time, we have been blessed beyond measure. Instead of 'babysitters' we have had beautiful young women with gracious, loving hearts that have invested in our children. Each of them has acted as a caretaker, an example, an inspiration. Although our date nights are not all that often, every time our children have had a much anticipated 'date night' with one of these girls, they have been blessed.


Since they are each so dear to our hearts and have definately enriched the details of our story, let us introduce you...



Sarah. We first met sweet Sarah when she was a sixth grader in our children's church class. By the time we brought our first baby home, Sarah was a teenager. We were so thankful that she was willing to travel out to our home in the forest, to care for our beautiful, little, screaming child with colic! Colic was followed by separation anxiety and the screaming continued, but so did Sarah. Thankfully, Abigail matured into a content little girl with blonde pigtails, who adored her time spent with Sarah.


Over the past 8 years, we have watched as Sarah completed college and began working in a media ministry. Last summer, when she married her dear husband Owen, both Abigail and Samuel were so blessed to be in their wedding. Sarah has grown into a beautiful woman who reflects God's love with her sweet spirit. What started out as hiring a young girl to watch my baby, years ago, has grown into a treasured fellowship with a very dear friend.


Josie and Holly. When we were expecting Samuel, and with Sarah off at college, we starting looking for a new babysitter. A dear friend said that that she knew the sweetest sisters you would ever meet. Oh, do we owe her a great debt. Josie and Holly were just 16 and 15, barely driving, and they had to travel 1 hour to get from our house from their ranch. They were such treasures that we paid travel time!

In a word, these girls are genuine. Their faith is lived out everyday and it is graceful, kind, and patient. I am not sure I knew what a good hug was until I met Josie and Holly. They greet you an embrace that melts your heart and reaffirms every ounce of fellowship you share. During the years that Josie and Holly cared for our children, business trips took us to several fun locations and thankfully, the girls joined us. What fun memories.

Holly is an amazing artist, who is just finishing up her degree. She is one of the most creative, caring, beautiful women that I know and I am so thankful to now call her my friend. Four years ago, we watched as Josie married an amazing Christian man. They live on a ranch and are now expecting their first child. Let me say, if they are ever looking for a babysitter... I am volunteering!


Hannah. Oh, our story goes way back. Way back to when I was in college and was babysitting Hannah! I loved taking her and her sister to the park, library or swimming. We would curl their hair and pick out fun outfits and when we went out, people would ask me (at 18) if they were mine. "No", I would reply with a smile, "they are borrowed."

Just about the time Ethan was born, Hannah and her sister Kiersten, started watching our children. (And yes, they told them stories about all the things that I used to do with them. Craft projects, McDonald's, swimming... evidence that suggests I was lots more fun before entering motherhood.) Hannah is super fun. She has a laid back style with an always energetic spirit. Between high school leadership activities, athletics, church groups, she would always schedule time to babysit for us. Gymnastics on the grass, hide and seek, coloring for hours meant that each of children adored her visits and anxiously waited at the window whenever she was to arrive.

We are very far apart now, and Hannah is finishing high school this year. The next years hold so much promise for this sweet heart. Whatever the future brings, I know that God is the one directing her steps and I hope she knows that she is always a welcome sight in our home!



Heidi. Last summer, we arrived in Virginia and knew very few people. Thankfully, Heidi and her family were some of them. Heidi, or 'Myheidi' as Ethan lovingly calls her, has been affording us date nights for the past year. While we are away, our children are busy playing in the creek, kicking the soccer ball, building popsicle stick art, or playing amazing games that Heidi brings in her 'bag of tricks'.

Heidi's personality sparkles because of her kind heart, her gracious spirit, and her faith. She is humble and yet very talented. In fact, we are excited that starting this month, she is now teaching Abigail and Samuel's piano lessons. They are so excited to learn how to play music, and also for more time with Heidi.


We recently realized that our children are all getting older. Soon, they will be independent enough to stay home for a few hours by themselves. Not now, not next year, but pretty soon. In the craziness of multiple toddlerhoods, diapers, sippy cups and car seats, I honestly forgot that it was just a season. A season that will end and with it, our need to hire a babysitter. Oh, but what a bittersweet thing that will be. While I am sure we'll enjoy having a few hours together without having to pay $/hour, we will be losing something. We will not have a lovely young girl coming into our home to minister to our family and in turn allowing us to invest in her and in all honesty, that has been PRICELESS!

Sarah, Josie, Holly, Hannah, Heidi... Thank you all so much. We praise God for bringing each of you into our lives. We love you!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love them all! I feel much better after meeting Heidi officially (or at least seeing her picture) Hugs - KC

PeriDawn said...

What a priceless treasure you have had in all these girls. What a priceless treasure these girls have been to your family. I do not know these all personaly, but I feel as though I do. What a wonderful treasure, that you have had such great sitters that have built into great friendships.

Mama2fiveblessings said...

What a gift all of these young ladies have been to you. And what a gift you have given each of them as you have taken the time over the years to minister to each of them and provide a listening ear and a loving heart to help guide them as they were guiding your children. Beautiful post!!
Love you,
Tiffany

Sarah Wildman said...

I am so touched by your sweet words. Of all the jobs I've had, 'babysitting' your little ones still tops the list. There was something invigorating about stepping into your life and being trusted to care for Abigail . . . and then the boys. Watching how you nurtured your children and home gave me confidence that someday I could create a warm atmosphere myself. You became a mentor and friend, taking the time to listen to my heart after you returned from your dates. Who knows? I may have never considered dating Owen without your reassurance (even though I didn't take him to prom!). You have been wise counsel during so many turning points in my life . . . I can't imagine where I'd be if I had not agreed to babysit in Deering Park.

the dwellers said...

Sarah...
Friend, your sweet comments are making me cry. I am so thankful for the seasons we have known each other, for the way our relationship has grown and matured, and that it has always been rooted in Truth. I am so blessed to call you my friend.
Love you! melissa

oh, and look at that beautiful profile photo... is there a new blog on the horizon? sign me up :)